The East Rockaway Gull

For Students, by Students...

The East Rockaway Gull

The East Rockaway Gull

Poll

The class with the hardest AP test has to be...

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Lanacella
Lanacella
Olivia Yagnisis, Vice-President • April 19, 2024
The Evolution of Coachella
The Evolution of Coachella
Caroline Cronin, Student Writer • April 19, 2024
Inside the Preppy Trend
Inside the Preppy Trend
Olivia Price, Student Writer • April 19, 2024

The History of the Patron Saint Nicholas

Christmas traditions have been around as long as the holiday has existed, which is the 4th century. But the most famous one is about a jolly old man with a white beard who brings toys to kids throughout the world: good Ol’ Saint Nick. 

For the most part, Santa stays the same in a lot of places. But one factor around Mr. Claus that varies is how people refer to him in different countries. For example, countries that predominantly speak German, like Germany and Austria, refer to Santa as Weihnachtsmann, meaning Christmas man. That’s quite a mouthful–try saying that 5 times fast! Even some places in America call him something unique; for example, in Texas, people call him “Cowboy Kringle” (try saying it in a Matthew McConaughey voice–it sounds better).

And it’s not just about the names–let’s take a look at the origin of Santa and how he became known worldwide. The patron Saint Nicholas was born around 280 A.D. in what is now modern-day Turkey. He lived an interesting life before he became who he is known as today. Saint Nicholas is said to have saved 3 innocent individuals from being prosecuted for crimes they didn’t do. He also made a pilgrimage to Egypt and Palestine before shortly returning to Myra where he became the bishop. Saint Nick is the patron saint of many different things like sailors and repentant thieves, but his most celebrated one is gift-giving. Once he settled down in Myra, he started to earn a good amount of money, using his newfound fortune for good and deciding to give back to the children of his city. People had gotten word of his generosity and were inspired to do the same, henceforth starting a Christmas tradition!

He died 343 AD on December 6 at age 73. December 6th later became a feast day celebrating the life of Saint Nicholas, and it is still celebrated in catholic communities today. And his mark on the world is still appreciated every year on December 25th when he makes his rounds to kids all over!