The East Rockaway Gull

For Students, by Students...

The East Rockaway Gull

The East Rockaway Gull

Poll

This poll has ended.

For the Swifties, what is your favorite song from TTPD?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

The Evolution of Coachella Fashion
The Evolution of Coachella Fashion
Eileen Harvey, Student Writer • May 12, 2024
Poetry Corner: A Longing for Summer
Poetry Corner: "A Longing for Summer"
Claire Harvey, Student Writer • May 12, 2024

Book Review: “Powerless”

Book Review: Powerless

Powerless is a young adult fantasy book that will soon become part of a trilogy. Lauren Roberts first started writing this book at the age of eighteen and finally published it in 2023. She was able to publish it because of all the support she received on TikTok. And now, Roberts is working on completing this trilogy. 

Powerless takes place in a world where people called Elites possess powers. However, a select few people don’t possess any power and because of this, they are hunted. They are called Ordinarys. The main character, Paedyn, is an Ordinary but she has to hide it for fear of being killed. When she gains the attention of the kingdom, she is thrown into the Purging Trials, a cruel competition used to showcase the power of the Elites. If the trials don’t kill her, the prince will if he discovers the truth about Paedyn. 

So far this book is one of my favorites this year. The concept is familiar enough to other books but also has its differences. I loved Roberts’ writing. Her writing was so easy to get swept into the world she created. She created some noteworthy quotes, especially between the two main characters–their banter was beautifully written. What had me on the edge of my seat was the ending, though. It was a cliffhanger that has me impatiently waiting for the next book to be released. I gave this book five stars on Goodreads because it’s always on my mind, it was an enjoyable read, and I cannot wait for the rest of the books to be published.