The East Rockaway Gull

For Students, by Students...

The East Rockaway Gull

The East Rockaway Gull

Poll

For the Swifties, what is your favorite song from TTPD?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

The Evolution of Coachella Fashion
The Evolution of Coachella Fashion
Eileen Harvey, Student Writer • May 12, 2024
Poetry Corner: A Longing for Summer
Poetry Corner: "A Longing for Summer"
Claire Harvey, Student Writer • May 12, 2024
Book Review: Powerless
Book Review: "Powerless"
Keira Burress, Student Writer • May 11, 2024

The Spring Slump: What it is and how to get through it

Finally, the weather is warming up, the sun is setting later, and the end of the school year is in sight. Yes, we have over a month to go, yet the days seem like they could go on forever. During this time, it gets really tough to keep your eyes on the light at the end of the tunnel that is summer vacation. Call it the “spring slump”, a time where motivation is at an all time low and it seems like summer can’t come soon enough. The best way to describe it is senioritis, but for all students in the spring…springitis, I guess.

The lack of student concentration towards the end of the school year actually correlates with attendance. According to an experiment conducted by Get schooled (a non-profit organization dedicated to aiding students in their future), “25 percent of kids are more likely to miss school during the spring semester rather than during the fall.”  Why, you may ask? Well, it makes sense, with the first reason being that there isn’t much left to learn. For most AP classes the curriculum is done, and other classes preparing for finals or Regents are just going over old material the majority of students already know. Along with this, the end of the year is when extracurriculars begin to wind down. Many students don’t have the motivation to go to school because they don’t have something to look forward to at the end of the day. So for students who don’t feel like they are missing anything by not being in class, staying home seems much more tempting. 

Attendance is not the only issue a part of the Spring Slump; turning in assignments, studying, and time management becomes much more difficult. This is due to a multiple of reasons. With the school year coming to an end, ceremonies and events tend to follow. On top of this, students must balance studying for big tests such as Regents and APs, all while still completing homework assignments. Normally a student might be able to keep this up, but when the weather is getting warmer, it is so tough to sit behind a computer completing schoolwork. With the end being so near students also are just over putting in the work. 

So how can one get out of the spring slump? It really is different for everyone. As a student who definitely feels the effects, I like to remember that if I work harder now, the more relaxing my summer will be.  But there are many other ways to motivate yourself, such as prioritizing assignments and studying so you are making the most of your work time. When it comes to turning in assignments and attendance just remember all you’ve done for three quarters… push through one more, and don’t let temptation set you back. It’s important to make time for studying for big exams too and although a nap may be tempting, make time to review and practice material on your own. A big tip to stay motivated is to reward yourself with a snack, power nap, time on your phone, or something to keep you from being bored of studying.

It’s the home stretch, so stay motivated, keep your head up, and focus. Although it may be the spring slump, with the right mindset, you can get out of it!