The East Rockaway Gull

For Students, by Students...

The East Rockaway Gull

The East Rockaway Gull

Poll

The class with the hardest AP test has to be...

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Lanacella
Lanacella
Olivia Yagnisis, Vice-President • April 19, 2024
The Evolution of Coachella
The Evolution of Coachella
Caroline Cronin, Student Writer • April 19, 2024
Inside the Preppy Trend
Inside the Preppy Trend
Olivia Price, Student Writer • April 19, 2024

Book Review: Six of Crows

Book Review: Six of Crows

Six of Crows is a young adult fantasy novel written by Leigh Bardugo. The story includes the point of view of the six main characters. While published in 2015, it has maintained a lot of popularity.  Occurring in the same world as the Shadow and Bone trilogy, it takes place two years after the events in that trilogy. I suggest reading the Shadow and Bone trilogy beforehand if you don’t want the trilogy to be spoiled and so you understand the world better. 

Six of Crows follows criminal prodigy, Kaz Brekker, who’s offered a chance to accomplish a deadly heist. However, he can’t pull it off alone. To stand a chance of pulling off this heist he’s going to need…

“A convict with a thirst for revenge

A sharpshooter who can’t walk away from a wager

A runaway with a privileged past

A spy known as the Wraith

A Heartender using her magic to survive the slums

A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes.”

This crew doesn’t understand how much this heist matters, however. The Crows stand between the world and its destruction. 

I read this duology recently and gained a strong affection for the story. It entails lots of action and has you questioning everything. One moment, you think something has gone awry with the plan. Next, you discover Kaz has tricks hidden up his sleeve and deals with the situation effectively. The continuous plot twists consistently had me on the edge of my seat.

I’ve also gotten deeply attached to the characters themselves, as they are written with extensive detail and have lots of depth to their character. You learn why certain characters are the way they are. Another reason I’ve grown so attached to these characters is the fact that they aren’t perfect people. Bardugo writes them in a way that makes them feel more human or alive. 

Once you’ve read the first book then you need to read the last one, Crooked Kingdom, which I adore just as much. After, reading Crooked Kingdom, you must watch the show. The show is a mixture of the Six of Crows duology and the Shadow and Bone trilogy. The storyline in the show differs from the books though as the events from these books took place at different times. Yet I still love the show because I love the characters. 

Six of Crows has become one of my all-time favorite series. It sent me through a whirlwind of emotions. And I feel as if I will always remember this duology. It might as well have changed my life. So, if you couldn’t already tell, I treasure this duology and will continuously urge others to read it.