The East Rockaway Gull

For Students, by Students...

The East Rockaway Gull

The East Rockaway Gull

Poll

The class with the hardest AP test has to be...

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Lanacella
Lanacella
Olivia Yagnisis, Vice-President • April 19, 2024
The Evolution of Coachella
The Evolution of Coachella
Caroline Cronin, Student Writer • April 19, 2024
Inside the Preppy Trend
Inside the Preppy Trend
Olivia Price, Student Writer • April 19, 2024

Staff Spotlight: Mrs. Matthews

A series on the teachers and staff who make ERHS the best place to be
Mrs. Matthews leading her students through a tough chemistry lesson.
Zoe Cerna

Ms. Matthews is one of our chemistry teachers here in East Rockaway High School. She has worked here for countless years and is very dedicated to her job here as a teacher as well as being a class advisor for the class of 2024! Listed below are answers to questions I posed to the wonderful Ms. Matthews……

Why did you choose to pursue teaching? 

I always knew I wanted to help children and I really loved science. When my original plan of becoming a pediatrician wasn’t going as planned, my back-up became teaching.”

Why did you choose to come to East Rockaway? 

“After my leave-replacement was up in Plainview, I needed to find a permanent position. At the time, one of the science teachers at ERHS was retiring so they had a position opening up so I applied and got the job.”

Do you like teaching chemistry? 

“I never intended to teach chemistry.  Due to my college classes I was able to get certified in Biology AND Chemistry.  I LOVED Biology and was hired to teach Biology.  As the chemistry teachers here started retiring, they moved me into the Chemistry position and now I have been here for a while.  There have been years I taught both.”

If you had to pick a subject other than chemistry to teach, what would you choose? 

Math, I was better at math than science in high school and it just seems logical to teach a subject I was good at, but still, my real love is science.”

I know you’re a class advisor for the class of 2024 and Rock Rivalry and Sports Night are coming up soon. Do you have any advice for the freshman class this year? 

“Learn to work together, ENJOY THE RIDE, no matter where you place.  Even though it is a competition, you will always take the memories of your time together more than the win or loss.¨

What are you going to miss the most about the class of 2024? 

Each and everyone of them.”

Do you regret becoming an advisor and taking on the big challenge? 

“I had already been an advisor (Class of 2012) so I knew what to expect.  I chose to become an advisor again because coming off of COVID I knew I had the knowledge to give the Class of 2024 the best experience I could provide. My biggest challenge has been trying to juggle RR (the most time consuming part) and family, especially living so far away.”

What is one piece of advice that someone gave you and has stuck with you? 

“It’s a big world out there, you will find YOUR place somewhere, but it might not be here.”