The East Rockaway Gull

For Students, by Students...

The East Rockaway Gull

The East Rockaway Gull

Poll

The class with the hardest AP test has to be...

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Lanacella
Lanacella
Olivia Yagnisis, Vice-President • April 19, 2024
The Evolution of Coachella
The Evolution of Coachella
Caroline Cronin, Student Writer • April 19, 2024
Inside the Preppy Trend
Inside the Preppy Trend
Olivia Price, Student Writer • April 19, 2024

Holly Jolly Battle: Real vs. Fake Christmas Trees

Getting Christmas trees is one of the most continuous traditions of our time. Every year the Christmas trees in our households are never lacking; they are filled with bright lights, homemade and professionally made ornaments, and twinkling tinsel. While it’s clear that the Christmas tree tradition is not leaving us anytime soon, the way people go about it is rapidly changing. Traditionally, people would cut down their own trees to put in their homes or pick out a tree from a tree farm, but now the trend of artificial trees is taking over. Some are very adamant about staying true to their real trees, while others are more open to the idea of artificial trees taking over. So, which tree is really better? Let’s find out…

Advantages of artificial trees: 

1. They come in various colors! While the evergreen trees are beautiful in and of themselves, with artificial trees the colors are endless! There are some that appear like real Christmas trees, but there are also white trees, blue trees, pink trees, even gold trees. You name it, they have it. Whatever aesthetic you are going for this Christmas season, there is an artificial tree to match. 
  2. You save money! Getting a real Christmas tree every year means spending money on them EVERY year. With artificial trees, you buy them once and can use them for years. You are also saving money for those extra Christmas presents. 
  3. Allergy- friendly! While real trees are beautiful, they can cause allergies to others. Terpenes, the compounds that give Christmas trees their scent, can sometimes cause an allergic reaction. Along with that, Christmas trees can also be covered in allergens like dust and pollen. With artificial trees, this isn’t a problem as there are no allergens to worry about!
  4. Less work and less mess! With artificial trees there is no need to worry about grooming the pine needles that cause a mess or watering the tree, which means more time to sit back, relax, and enjoy the Christmas season. 

Disadvantages of getting an artificial tree: 

• They are plastic so when they are disposed of, they could end up in  landfill. They are not at all eco-friendly seeing how they are made in a factory as well. 
  • They are vulnerable to fires as they get older with possible broken lights.
  • Around 10 million are purchased every season and nearly 90% of them are shipped across the world from China. This results in an increase of carbon emissions and resources. 

Advantages of real trees: 

1. The bonding experience of getting the real Christmas Tree! I don’t know about you, but one of my favorite Christmas memories is going out with my family to buy a Christmas tree. It may be a simple outing, but it is one that remains in my memory. A real Christmas tree not only comes with itself, but with joyful memories that you can look back on.
  2. The real pine smell! Some may say this is a disadvantage, but I would disagree! A pine smelling in the Christmas season truly adds on to the Christmas season.
  3. Eco-friendly: Some may believe that cutting down Christmas trees is destroying the environment because trees are being cut, however in reality the situation is much different. Since trees are a  renewable resource, when they are cut, they begin to be harvested when replanted.
  4. Supports small businesses! Most Christmas trees are sold by small businesses. Rather than buying an artificial tree from large corporations, why not support a business that is trying to make a living in the winter season?

So, in conclusion, who wins? Personal bias aside, both are good in their own respective ways. Personally, I would choose real trees over fake trees any day. But, regardless of what Christmas tree you decide on, just know that it is your choice and your Christmas. Don’t let anyone ruin that for you. Furthermore, Merry Christmas!