The East Rockaway Gull

For Students, by Students...

The East Rockaway Gull

The East Rockaway Gull

Poll

The class with the hardest AP test has to be...

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Lanacella
Lanacella
Olivia Yagnisis, Vice-President • April 19, 2024
The Evolution of Coachella
The Evolution of Coachella
Caroline Cronin, Student Writer • April 19, 2024
Inside the Preppy Trend
Inside the Preppy Trend
Olivia Price, Student Writer • April 19, 2024

The Top 5 Best Halloween Movies You Should Watch this Fall

Halloween is one of the best holidays because people get to dress up in costume, have fun, and trick or treat. You could have as much candy as you want on this day (dentists across the country, beware!) Personally, my favorite pastime involving Halloween is to watch a movie late at night and eat popcorn–I know you do too! But which films are the BEST Halloween films? Take my advice and check out one of the classic films below, if you dare…

Halloween (1978): Rated R (so watch with parent permission!)

Halloween is by far the best Halloween movie. When people hear the word Halloween, the first thought that comes to mind is this classic movie. It all starts when Michael Myers viciously murdered his sister when he was six years old. He was then sentenced for fifteen years in an institution. While being transferred for a court date, he escapes! He returns back to his hometown quietly while he stalks his next victims. On Halloween night, high school students Annie and Laurie are babysitting two kids who live across the street from each other. Tommy Doyle is being babysat by Laurie and Annie was babysitting Lindsey Wallace. While they were babysitting, little did they know they were being watched the whole entire time by Michael Myers. He was waiting for a time to kill them when they least expected it. Annie, Tommy, Laurie, and Lindsey didn’t know that this Halloween would be the worst night of their life. Did anyone survive? You’ll have to watch the movie to find out!

Hocus Pocus (1993): Rated PG (for those who prefer funny spooky)

Hocus Pocus is a funny Halloween movie that you could watch 1,000 times over again and not get tired of it. Three hundred years ago in the small town of Salem, the Sanderson sisters were hanged during the Salem Witch Trials, but before they died, one of the sisters cast a spell on Halloween Eve. Her spell meant that someone would light a candle with a black flame and resurrect them. In the present day, a boy Max and his sister moved to Salem from California. Max’s teacher was telling the story of the three sisters and he doesn’t believe it at all. Dani, Max’s sister, forced him to take her trick or treating on Halloween night. Max and some friends break into the Sanderson sisters’ house and he foolishly lights the candle with the black flame. The witches returned. The kids hid and came up with a plan to escape. It was successful. The sisters have to figure out how to suck the life out of the children before the next day so they could stay young forever because the spell only lasts until sunrise. They begin to chase the children throughout the town. The kids arrive at city hall at a Halloween party to search for their parents. The witches followed them and as soon as the kids saw the sisters they fled. Eventually the Sanderson sisters were defeated because the kids prevented them from achieving the spell until sunrise.

Halloweentown (1998): Rated G (safe to watch with your little siblings)

Halloweentown is a film based on a magical place that people visit once a year. You could never go wrong with this simple yet very iconic movie. Three siblings Marnie, Dylan, and Sophie are so exited when their grandma visits on Halloween, but what they don’t know is that she is there for a reason. Evil things are happening in Halloweentown and Grandma Aggie wants to stop it. Marnie and Dylan take the bus to Halloweentown not knowing their little sister Sophie is following them. Their mom Gwen also follows behind them. When they are there, Aggie and Gwen are attacked in a movie theater by a dark force. The three siblings have to find ingredients to activate a wand to stop the evil and save their family. Do they succeed? It’s safe to say evil won’t reign even in Halloweentown.

Young Frankenstein (1974): Rated PG (this one’s a classic I guarantee your parents love!)

Not many young people have seen Young Frankenstein, but if you have, you know it’s an annual must watch Halloween movie. It begins with Dr. Frankenstein who is engaged to a woman named Elizabeth. He has inherited his families estate in Transylvania after his great-grandfather dies. On the train ride to explore the property, he meets a servent Igor and a personal assistant Inga. He arrives at the house and discovers his grandfather’s old laboratory and continues his unfinished experiment. Igor finds a brain in the lab that says “Do not use this brain! Abnormal.” Dr. Frankenstein decides to use it anyways and puts it in a corpse of a recently executed criminal. The corpse is brought to life by electrical shocks from lightning in a storm. The person stands up hesitantly, takes his first steps, and attacks the doctor. Then later on, the housekeeper sets him free and he escapes the castle. The creature and the doctor end up on a stage in a theater performing a musical number. A stage light explodes in the middle of the performance the monster charges the audience. The police arrive at the scene and capture him. He escapes. Time has passed and Elizabeth and the monster ended up getting married instead.  I know it doesn’t sound funny at first glimpse, but the humor is guaranteed to keep you laughing until Thanksgiving.

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993): Rated PG (some creepy looking animation by the one and only Tim Burton)

This movie is the perfect movie to watch a few days after Halloween while transitioning into Christmas because it could be considered a Christmas or Halloween movie. Every year, Jack Skellington (King of Halloweentown) has the same routine on October 31st. Except this year. This year, he feels like something is missing. While Jack is taking his dog for a walk, he comes across this circle of trees with doors representing each holiday. He opens the door to Christmastown and discovers a whole new world of lights and tinsel. Jack loves what he sees. After he goes back home to Halloweentown, he calls a meeting explaining what he saw. He decides right then and there that his town is taking over Christmas. Everyone gets assigned jobs to do. Sally, a doll who is locked up by a mad scientist, has the job of creating a Santa suit for Jack. She tries to tell him that copying Christmas is a bad idea but he doesn’t listen. On Christmas Eve, Sally tries to sabotage Jack’s delivery as Santa Clause bringing the toys by adding fog juice to the town’s well. She sneaks into the place where the real Santa is and makes an effort to free him. Jack doesn’t understand Christmas so when he delivers his toys he spreads terror around the town. He realized he was wrong and wants to set Christmas right. Everyone returns to the town the holiday is saved and Jack and Sally realize they are meant to be together.

View Comments (1)