The College Process

Back to Article
Back to Article

The College Process

Samantha LaChiana, Staff Writer

May is one of the busiest and certainly most stressful months known to students in high school. It’s one of the most jam-packed months for all Juniors and Seniors! Speaking from a Junior’s viewpoint, the pressure is definitely piling on within these final months of the school year. May is the month where you meet with your high school guidance counselor and discuss all of the things related to your college preference list such as school size, commuting verses going away to school, possible majors, college letters, college essays, and applying for scholarships. Clearly, this can be overwhelming for many students who haven’t given the idea any thought.

The key to the process is starting early. It may seem as if May is “decision month” for not only Seniors, but for Juniors as well—but this is not necessarily true. Although it may seem like many students are suddenly jumping into the world of college, you actually have ample time to make well informed decisions. It is important to get the process started early with your guidance counselor so that you don’t feel rushed into making a decision. For example, start working on the more tedious things on your check off list such as creating a resume with robust amount of information including your interests, achievements, high school credentials, and honors throughout your high school experience. Also, begin asking teachers and other mentors in your life for letters of recommendation. Do not wait until the last minute. 

Deciding on a college can be a bit of a time consuming process. It is an important decision because you are choosing where you want to spend the next 4 years of your life. By the end of your Junior year you should feel much more prepared to make this important decision and you will have a clearer plan for your future.  Overall, the journey towards your college future may seem monotonous and repetitive when you’re going through the process, but it’s definitely worth it to look into these options BEFORE Senior year!