The East Rockaway Gull

For Students, by Students...

The East Rockaway Gull

The East Rockaway Gull

Poll

The class with the hardest AP test has to be...

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Lanacella
Lanacella
Olivia Yagnisis, Vice-President • April 19, 2024
The Evolution of Coachella
The Evolution of Coachella
Caroline Cronin, Student Writer • April 19, 2024
Inside the Preppy Trend
Inside the Preppy Trend
Olivia Price, Student Writer • April 19, 2024

Book Review: The Hobbit

Book Review: The Hobbit
Perrone, Sara

The Hobbit is a fantasy novel written by J. R. R. Tolkien. First published in 1937, it’s one of the best-selling books of all time with over a hundred million copies sold. It’s a prequel to the Lord of the Rings trilogy, which is equally as thrilling and whimsical.

The Hobbit follows the story of Bilbo Baggins, a hobbit, who is thrust into a quest. He leaves the comfort of his home in the Shire to help thirteen dwarves reclaim their home from a dragon named Smaug. His world is turned upside down as he is thrown into a perilous journey. Along this quest, he discovers something most peculiar. 

This book is beautifully written and enchanting. When I first picked up the book, I was hooked immediately. The way the book starts is so simple, yet so captivating. After reading the first few sentences, “In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort,” how could one put the book down? 

The novel pulls you into a journey through Middle Earth. The world J. R. R. Tolkien has invented is simply remarkable. There’s so much to encounter in this unique world.

The Hobbit, a vivid book, is also jam-packed with adventure. It just screams fairytale. The journey Bilbo goes on never gets boring. The Hobbit is one of those books where it’s easy to get attached to the characters and the story.

I highly recommend this book. It’s easy to understand, and it’s an enjoyable and amusing read. After reading The Hobbit, you can read Lord of the Rings.