The East Rockaway Gull

For Students, by Students...

The East Rockaway Gull

The East Rockaway Gull

Poll

The class with the hardest AP test has to be...

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Lanacella
Lanacella
Olivia Yagnisis, Vice-President • April 19, 2024
The Evolution of Coachella
The Evolution of Coachella
Caroline Cronin, Student Writer • April 19, 2024
Inside the Preppy Trend
Inside the Preppy Trend
Olivia Price, Student Writer • April 19, 2024

Current Beauty Trends: Are they Worth the Hype to Put on your Christmas List?

These days there are so many expensive beauty products that teenagers are putting on their Christmas lists. All the famous influencers rave about how amazing these new pricey items are, but are they really worth their cost? Let’s delve into reality, and figure out which products really work.

There are so many skincare trends going viral. One of them that you may have heard of is the brand Drunk Elephant. Drunk Elephant is an extremely pricey brand. They sell mostly skincare, but some makeup products as well. So many wealthy influencers display this trendy brand in their “Get Ready with Me” videos. They say it is a “life changing product.” However, Sephora’s website lists their popular value sized moisturizer at $98. Now, don’t get me wrong, I do not think this is a bad product, but after trying it myself, I can attest that there is nothing special about it that is worth $98. It did not do anything incredible for my skin, or for many of my friends that have tried it. If you have a higher budget, some of the smaller, mini items might be a good fit for you, but there are many inexpensive alternatives for a fraction of the price that you can find at your local drugstore.

Another brand that sells skin care is Glow Recipe. Glow Recipe has been very popular, but it’s for a reason! Glow Recipe has significantly helped my skin, and the reviews and many people I’ve spoken to have said the same. It is a little bit pricey, but in my opinion it is worth it. The two products I noticed that helped my skin the most were the Watermelon Glow PHA + BHA Pore-Tight Toner, and the Watermelon Glow Niacinamide Dew Drops Serum. The PHA + BHA in the toner helped me because PHA gently exfoliates, while BHA cleanses pores for smoother, clearer-looking skin. The Niacinamide in the Dew Drops Serum helps to minimize enlarged pores, improve uneven skin tone, and can reduce the swelling and redness associated with acne. This brand really helped my skin personally, but if you are thinking of putting it on your Christmas list, make sure you do research on different ingredients, and what would be useful for your skin specifically. Just because something works for one person, doesn’t mean it definitely works for another. Make sure to always research what ingredients will work best for your skin type before asking for it this Christmas.

This poll has ended.

Favorite Makeup or Skincare Brand?

image

Shifting the focus to makeup products, one brand that has it all (primer, concealer, mascara, highlighter, blush, and much, much more) is called e.l.f. It is by far one of my favorite brands. It has affordable, but very good quality makeup. You can find e.l.f. products at your local drugstore for a very reasonable price. A new product that is shocking the internet is a lip liner for only $2! Many influencers claim that it is a dupe (alternative option) to an extremely high end, luxury one. They also have a lot more products, many for under $20. In my opinion, I would love to receive an e.l.f. product in my stocking or as a Christmas gift this year!

Another makeup brand that is in my everyday routine is Rare Beauty, created by Selena Gomez. Rare Beauty went viral last year for their gorgeous liquid blushes, but they have many other products too. I have tried their concealer, blush, and highlighter, and want to try more! These are some of my favorites that I use almost daily, but they are on the pricey side. The blush is very pigmented, comes in many shades, and leaves you with a sun-kissed, rosy look. The concealer has very good coverage, a very inclusive shade range, and will last me the day. And their highlighter is one of my favorite products of all time. I use it on my cheekbones, nose, and the inner-corners of my eyes. This product is long lasting, and gives a really pretty, glowy look. They have some cheaper options, starting at around $10-$15, but the higher quality items are around $30-$60. While this is not extremely inexpensive, I think the quality makes this product worth the money, and definitely worth putting on your list if you have a little bit of a higher budget! 

One more very well known, and currently trending makeup brand is called Charlotte Tilbury. With products as high as in the $400’s, Charlotte Tilbury is far from affordable! From the reviews, I can see that these products certainly do not disappoint; however, this is most likely over the budget for many. They do sell multiple mini products, starting at $15, but many of the “cheaper” products still sell for almost $100. Personally, I have only ever used one product from this brand, their Airbrush Flawless Setting Spray. Setting spray is used after you put on your makeup to make it last for the day, and this is by far the best setting spray I have ever tried. I purchased the mini size for $23, and I think that it is worth it, but still a little pricey for the amount of product you receive. I can’t speak for any of the other products, because I have never tried them, but the reviews tell me that these products are incredible. While this is one of the most expensive makeup brands on the market, with definitely many inexpensive alternatives, I think that some of the smaller products would be an amazing Christmas gift, if it fits your price range!

To review, there are many trending beauty products currently. Some expensive items don’t quite live up to their extremely high cost, but some are definitely worth it! There are some brands that I previously suggested that have good quality, and affordability. Hopefully, this information helped you with forming your Christmas list.