The East Rockaway Gull

For Students, by Students...

The East Rockaway Gull

The East Rockaway Gull

Poll

The class with the hardest AP test has to be...

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Lanacella
Lanacella
Olivia Yagnisis, Vice-President • April 19, 2024
The Evolution of Coachella
The Evolution of Coachella
Caroline Cronin, Student Writer • April 19, 2024
Inside the Preppy Trend
Inside the Preppy Trend
Olivia Price, Student Writer • April 19, 2024

Thanksgiving Food Drive: Why You Should Donate

Thanksgiving is only a couple of weeks away, and as such, the annual Thanksgiving Avid/Key Club food drive is currently underway. Last year, around 131 boxes were filled and given to families in need. This year, a goal of 140 boxes are to be filled.  You may be asking yourself the following questions: Why should we donate? To whom are we donating? What are we donating? In this article, each question will be answered.

To whom are we donating?

A common misconception is that we are giving food to the homeless people in Long Island; we are not. Instead, we donate boxes filled with Thanksgiving foods (and money for a turkey) to families who need help during the holidays. Why? Simply put, people need to have access to a stove and a kitchen in order to make the dinner. We are not here to solve hunger all over Long Island, rather just to help families who are having trouble with buying enough food for Thanksgiving due to how much groceries cost nowadays. We are not using a long-term solution, rather, a small one to lift one burden.

Why should you donate?

It’s a matter of helping your community and having empathy for those who need the help. You may not realize how it may be a big deal to the family who gains the donations. Once again, we are not giving this food to the homeless, but rather families that may have some struggles. What we are doing is lifting the holiday shopping burden so that the families will not have to worry about the grocery bill for Thanksgiving.

What should you donate?

Ideally, canned food is a good choice. Instead of giving a full turkey, however, money will just be put in the box in place of the turkey. Here is a general list of foods to give:

• Canned corn
  • Canned meats
  • Canned gravy
  • Pasta
  • Any nonperishable foods
  • Pie crust
  • Jelly
  • Canned fruits

Overall, anything you eat during Thanksgiving that is nonperishable can be given to this food drive.

Thanks for donating, and have a great Thanksgiving!