The East Rockaway Gull

For Students, by Students...

The East Rockaway Gull

The East Rockaway Gull

Poll

The class with the hardest AP test has to be...

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Lanacella
Lanacella
Olivia Yagnisis, Vice-President • April 19, 2024
The Evolution of Coachella
The Evolution of Coachella
Caroline Cronin, Student Writer • April 19, 2024
Inside the Preppy Trend
Inside the Preppy Trend
Olivia Price, Student Writer • April 19, 2024

Book Review: “The Mark of Athena”

Book Review: The Mark of Athena”

The book The Mark of Athena is a must-read for people interested in Greek/Roman mythology. This book is the 3rd book written in the series The Heroes of Olympus, which is a sequel to the original series Percy Jackson & The Olympians. This book was written by Rick Riordan and was published by Disney Hyperion.

This story follows a group of 7: Jason Grace, Leo Valdez, Piper McLean, Percy Jackson, Annabeth Chase, Hazel Levesque, and Frank Zhang. Each one of the characters has a different parent who is either a Greek or Roman god, making them all demigods. They are part of a huge prophecy that can alter the entire course of the universe called “the prophecy of 7”. The 7 of them travel to Rome to save another one of their demigod friends, Nico di Angelo. Throughout this quest, they encounter people depicted in real Greek and Roman mythology myths, like the Arachne or Nemesis. Adding these interactions gives the story a nice touch. I found myself wanting to know more about these myths when I was done reading the book. The story ends in a very well-written way and left me anxious to read the rest of the books in the series. 

The whole book is filled with thrilling battle moments, heartwarming romance scenes, and funny dialogue while still being informational. The story is followed in a 3rd person-limited omniscient perspective, so we can understand a specific character’s thoughts while still being told in the third-person perspective, allowing the reader to understand the story more clearly and making it easier to read in sections. The whole book is 624 pages long, which can be a lot for some people, but it is split into 52 chapters varying from different character’s points of view, so it makes the story easier to read. I would recommend this book to people ages 10-14. It is a universally good story and many people will enjoy it.