The East Rockaway Gull

For Students, by Students...

The East Rockaway Gull

The East Rockaway Gull

Poll

The class with the hardest AP test has to be...

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Lanacella
Lanacella
Olivia Yagnisis, Vice-President • April 19, 2024
The Evolution of Coachella
The Evolution of Coachella
Caroline Cronin, Student Writer • April 19, 2024
Inside the Preppy Trend
Inside the Preppy Trend
Olivia Price, Student Writer • April 19, 2024

Mike Johnson: Everything this Country Needs

Everything you need to know about the new Speaker of the House

Finally, the United States House of Representatives was able to elect a new Speaker of the House. Having a Speaker of the House at any point, but especially now, is of great importance. Speakers help pass news laws and serve as the leader, spokesperson, and face of the majority party in the House of Representatives. They set the agenda and explain the legislative action to other officials and the public. After former Speaker McCarthy was pretty much thrown out by the Democratic party and certain members of the Republican party, the process of finding a new speaker took several weeks. There was a prospective nominee in Representative Jim Jordan, but he never achieved enough votes from his own party to become elected.

Louisiana Republican Rep. Mike Johnson was finally elected Speaker of the House on Wednesday, October 25th, by a vote of 220-209. The son of a firefighter, Johnson was elected to Congress in the 2016 election and serves on the House Judiciary and Armed Services Committees. Johnson is currently in his second term as the vice chairman of the House Republican Conference. Johnson is an ally of former President Donald Trump and defended him during the Democrat-led House impeachment hearings. He also filed an amicus brief co-signed by 100 House Republicans to support Texas litigation seeking to overturn the 2020 election results in four states: Georgia, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. He was the Chairman of the Conservative Republican Study Committee at the time. He is also an “America First” and MAGA supporter, with an ally of the House Freedom caucus. Even though Jim Jordan didn’t receive enough votes to be elected, Mike Johnson’s mentor is Jim Jordan, so that is still a good sign. He has voted against many policies including Ukraine spending after the initial bill. After Trump’s 2020 State of the Union Address, Johnson called for an arrest of then Speaker Nancy Pelosi after she infamously tore up the State of the Union speech given to her by Trump. 

What we have in the position of Speaker of the House is everything this country needs. We need to take back what every legal American deserves: protection, low inflation rates, and security. Mike Johnson is the one to make the moves and allow America to become what it once was when President Trump was in office. Johnson will be bringing up processes such as impeaching Biden and many other policies that will help legal American citizens get everything from food, phones, cars and living spaces for free. Americans are the ones who matter most–if Americans aren’t being taken care of, then what are we doing as a society?