The East Rockaway Gull

For Students, by Students...

The East Rockaway Gull

The East Rockaway Gull

Poll

The class with the hardest AP test has to be...

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Lanacella
Lanacella
Olivia Yagnisis, Vice-President • April 19, 2024
The Evolution of Coachella
The Evolution of Coachella
Caroline Cronin, Student Writer • April 19, 2024
Inside the Preppy Trend
Inside the Preppy Trend
Olivia Price, Student Writer • April 19, 2024

Top 5 Best Outdoor Decorations for the Fall

October: The month greatly longed for each and every year. We watch as the waves of heat transition into cool frequent mists of air. We watch as the leaves on our trees lose their unique green, replaced by the even more unique shades of colors only indicating that the season of fall has arrived. While the official start of fall may be on September 23rd, to many, including myself at times, fall does not seem to be revived until October arrives. Each and every year, fall will always be a highlight. Unlike the winter, I do not find myself bundled up in a multitude of heavy coats simply to survive a walk outside- and unlike the summer, I do not find myself to be radiating heat, or my skin a shade of red within only ten minutes outdoors. Of course, then there’s the spring. Although, the weather may more so fit to my liking, the immaculate energy provided by the fall is just simply not there. For myself and others, this “immaculate energy” includes of many factors, such as the given: naturalistic beauty and festive activities (nothing will EVER top apple picking!), the obvious: Halloween and Thanksgiving (which is severely underrated may I add), and one of my personal favorites: home decorations. Quite the broad statement yet to myself, this topic is of great complexity. 

Throughout the entirety of my life, the attention of my own has always been caught by the way some people would engulf their home in fall decorations. I am not talking about Halloween décor specifically, I am talking about the décor of the fall season! Don’t get me wrong, I adore the skeletons, the funky strobe lights, and the feeling of my heart jumping from my chest as the haunted houses are brought to life in neighborhoods- yet, in a way, these aspects to the outdoor fall season all level under the idea of common. Now, you may be asking yourself, “If Halloween decorations are considered common…then how in the world is plain old autumn décor not??” Well, how often do you see a home, let alone a neighborhood, immersed with the knickknacks of our lovely autumnal equinox? Once a week, or, once every other week of October, maybe? Surely not fitting the recurrence of spooky Halloween décor! I believe as a society, we are in need of a change. A great change indeed. Therefore, to combat this need for change, I managed to pull together a list. Would you like to spice up home this festive fall season? Then, please, read on as I share my personal top 5 outdoor home decoration favorites for the fall season!! 

Top 5 best outdoor home decorations for this 2023 fall season!! 

1. Wreaths. 

While many people connect wreaths to the times of Christmas, they especially add to the season of Fall!! No matter what, a fun & festive wreath, sporting colors indicating fall (orange, red, yellow, & brown) will never not gain the likings of your peers and onlookers. Whether the wreath be of more simplicity or complexity, a certain fall cheer will be initiated. Not to mention, wreaths pretty much match well with just about anywhere your heart desires! For example: front doors, fence gates, dangling around on a porch, and even windows are quite the prime spots! 

1. Haystacks. 

Don’t have the time to cover your home in decently sized decorations for the days of fall? Well, haystacks are just the answer for you! Varying between size and range, haystacks help fulfill any festive-fall décor felt left uncompleted. Not to mention, if you may be running out of space within your decorative borders, grab a haystack and place more, smaller in size décor on top!! 

1. Chrysanthemum blooms (you may know of this flower as a mum!)

Greatly underrated in terms of fall decorations, these blooms give quite the show! With their popping colors, Chrysanthemum blooms (mums) seriously attract the attention of your peers, neighbors, and onlookers! Fitting right in with the aesthetic autumn provides, mums add so much more than one would originally realize to the fall décor scenario. Due to their various color ranges, mums are quite unique to one another. So, when planning your outdoor scheme for this fall season, make sure to input a few mums here and there; as the hues grow extravagant, not only showing off itself, yet their entire surroundings! 

1. Scarecrows. 

Now, I understand this list refers to the autumn aspects of decoration rather than the Halloween aspects, though scarecrows, if anything, more so fall under the category of autumn décor! I mean, how often do you really see the combination of our nationwide adored scarecrows with their blushing faces, and straw hair accompanied by a spooky, haunted atmosphere? Surely not too much! Scarecrows fit right in along the aforementioned fall décor, simply adding to the magical scheme of creativity!

1. Pumpkins. 

Now, I’m sure we could all agree; what is fall without pumpkins?? Remove pumpkins from the entirety of existence- remove fall from the entirety of existence, extend Summer, Winter, and the Spring. When decorating your home, the options for pumpkins remain limitless! For example, you may paint or carve the pumpkins however you’d like! Whether it be of a favorite Disney character, a face full of emotion, or even a multitude of scribbles, the end will never be reached. Pumpkins, as they are the epitome of the Fall season, don’t just “fit” in, they set the whole base for more decorations to come! Not to mention, the activity of pumpkin picking beforehand brings on nothing but joy for people of all ages!! Whether you decide to follow this list or not, pumpkins should always be of a high degree.