Why I Chose SUNY New Paltz

Rikki Caracciolo, Staff Writer

At the beginning of the academic school year, I was more than confident that I would be attending an art school, SCAD, in Savannah, Georgia. But as the year progressed, my family and I ran into a few problems. Going to an art school is extremely expensive.  An out-of-state school is twice as expensive, especially if I would be living down south. I never looked at other school options since applying to SCAD last year, so finding a handful of good colleges was a little difficult. I didn’t have much background knowledge on the schools I applied to. I took advantage of the SUNY free application week when it was offered to us back in the Fall.

When picking schools in New York I knew I wanted to get the experience of going away and living on my own. I also knew the exact field I wanted to go into which is Graphic Design. SUNY Purchase was a really good option since it’s an art school. Unfortunately, I got declined. After applying to all of my schools, it was a waiting game to hear from SUNY New Paltz.  By January, I finally got the news that I was accepted! After hearing the news my family and I decided to book a tour during February break.  Everyone I spoke to about New Paltz had the same reaction, “It’s such a great area and school!” We had very high expectations and we were not disappointed when we finally visited. 

I made my final decision by the end of March. We sent in my deposit and now I’m officially a New Paltz student! We went back in April for Accepted Students Day where I was able to see what my major, Graphic Design, would look like. It’s safe to say it was just what I expected. My experience at Barry Tech prepared me for my future classes. SUNY New Paltz’s campus is also a really nice area with really pretty scenery and a quaint small town. 

I’m really looking forward to starting college there in late-August. College was something I always looked forward to. It’s crazy to think I’ll be graduating next month. I cant wait!