Adriana’s Guide to the College Application Process

Adriana Calabrese, Staff Writer

During this time of the year, all the seniors in high school across the United States share the same stressful topic; College Applications. This time is very overwhelming because of the decision making and the writing for each and every school you apply to. The pressure is on. But, trust me, I understand. I am writing this to give you a few helpful tips about how to make your application process as quick and as easy as possible. 

Figure out where you want to go to school.

If you know that you want a big university far, far away from home with thousands of students and a big Greek life on campus, then finding schools to apply to should make things easier for you! 

If you have heard of some schools but don’t know too much about them or if you would really wanna go there, research!!! Go to their website, watch videos, read reviews, do a virtual tour and find out if you can really see yourself there. 

If you have absolutely no idea what you want or where you want to be (don’t worry, me too), I would advise you to take some online quizzes that can help to show you what you might be interested in. Ask your guidance counselors – that’s what they are there for!

What do you want to study? 

Some people decide which school they will go to based on who has the best program for what they want to study. This can be very helpful in the decision making process. In my opinion, it’s very important to find out what you are passionate about and how you want to make a career out of it. You can take a quiz online, or ask your teachers in the classes that you enjoy. Some colleges offer programs that are intended for certain careers and it will help you get a quick and easy start into the rest of your life! 

Complete the Common App.

Although it can seem overwhelming, the Common App isn’t so bad! It is necessary for most applications and once out of the way, everything becomes easier. On the Common App, you fill out all of your personal information including your academic, extracurricular and family information. This will be sent to all colleges so that they can learn more about you. After selecting which schools you want to apply to, many colleges will have their own personal questions for you to complete just to get to know your personality so they can decide that they want you at their school! 

Complete your FAFSA.

FAFSA is not as challenging to complete as many people think, but you will most likely need a parent/guardian to give their information. This form will help in the process of financial aid and will show how much money you are eligible for to help pay for your tuition. College is expensive! Fill out the form ASAP and send it to your colleges. 

Emailing and Interviews

After you have submitted your applications and FASFA forms, show interest in your schools. Email them and ask any questions that you may have, it will show your interest and allow you to become more than just a name on an application. Inquire about interviews! They can be a great way to learn more about your school and get them to know more about you as well. Be ready to answer any questions that they have. Show them why they should want you! Be confident! 

Search and Apply for Scholarships

Many schools will automatically submit you for merit scholarships and will contact you with your admissions decision to let you know if you qualified. There are many other scholarships outside of specific colleges that you can also apply to. Search and apply! Any scholarship that you can get is helpful. 

After completing all of these steps, you can finally somewhat relax and wait for the admission decisions to roll in. Remember to stay positive – everything will work out the way it’s supposed to. Be proud of yourself that you made it through this stressful experience! Enjoy your “year of lasts” and make the most of every experience.