The East Rockaway Gull

For Students, by Students...

The East Rockaway Gull

The East Rockaway Gull

Poll

The class with the hardest AP test has to be...

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Lanacella
Lanacella
Olivia Yagnisis, Vice-President • April 19, 2024
The Evolution of Coachella
The Evolution of Coachella
Caroline Cronin, Student Writer • April 19, 2024
Inside the Preppy Trend
Inside the Preppy Trend
Olivia Price, Student Writer • April 19, 2024

The Controversy of Cryptocurrency

The Controversy of Cryptocurrency
Perrone, Sara

Cryptocurrency is a digital form of currency used to work as a medium of exchange through a computer network not regulated by a central authority such as a government or a bank. In simple terms, crypto is an alternative form of payment that is digital. Cryptocurrency has stirred considerable debates regarding its worthiness as an investment and whether you can trust keeping your money in the form of crypto. As Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies have become increasingly popular, investors praise their potential for high returns, while critics question their reliability. 

The Investment Potential:

One of the primary interactions of cryptocurrency is its potential for high returns. Bitcoin, being the most popular example, has witnessed dramatic price increases, making early investors a significant profit. In 2011, one bitcoin had a value of $4.70. Today in 2023, the value of one bitcoin is over $40,000. That is 10 thousand times more than what the original value was. The entire bitcoin market alone is valued at more than $680 billion in crypto markets as of November 2023 (Frankfield 2023).

Investors often consider cryptocurrency as a means of diversifying their portfolios. Unlike traditional assets, cryptocurrencies operate independently of traditional financial systems, making them less liable to global economic trends. Some investors view cryptocurrencies as a barrier against inflation. 

The Risks of Cryptocurrency Investment:

The most significant concern with cryptocurrency investment is its extreme price volatility. Prices can fluctuate dramatically in short periods, leading to substantial gains or losses. Such volatility raises questions about the stability and reliability of cryptocurrencies as a long-term investment.

While crypto technology is praised for its security, the broader cryptocurrency ecosystem is not immune to cyber threats. Hacks and scams have occurred, resulting in significant losses for investors. Security concerns challenge the notion of cryptocurrency as a trustworthy and safe investment. Many cryptocurrency exchanges and wallets have been hacked over the years, sometimes resulting in the theft of millions of dollars in coins (Frankfield 2023).

The Trustworthiness of Cryptocurrency: 

The decentralized nature of cryptocurrencies eliminates the need for central authorities like banks, reducing the risk of fraud and manipulation. The trust lies in the consensus mechanism and transparency of blockchain transactions, theoretically making them more secure. 

On the flip side, the absence of regulatory oversight raises concerns about accountability in the cryptocurrency space. Scams, fraud, and market manipulation are more challenging to combat without a robust framework, leading to skepticism about the trustworthiness of investing in crypto. 

As we progress into the future, cryptocurrency plays an increasingly significant role in the economy and grows in popularity. People tend to invest in crypto with the hope of growing their money; however, there is a risk of losing all of it. Is the risk worth taking?

References

Frankfield, J. (2023, November 3). Cryptocurrency Explained With Pros and Cons for Investment. Investopedia. Retrieved December 13, 2023, from https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/cryptocurrency.asp