The East Rockaway Gull

For Students, by Students...

The East Rockaway Gull

The East Rockaway Gull

Poll

The class with the hardest AP test has to be...

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Lanacella
Lanacella
Olivia Yagnisis, Vice-President • April 19, 2024
The Evolution of Coachella
The Evolution of Coachella
Caroline Cronin, Student Writer • April 19, 2024
Inside the Preppy Trend
Inside the Preppy Trend
Olivia Price, Student Writer • April 19, 2024

The Grinch of Christmas Returns: Toxic Materialism

Every year, kids and adults alike formulate a Christmas list. They make these lists and check them twice. Although this may seem harmless, it contributes to two big problems: toxic materialism and consumerism. Toxic materialism is the value of material items over morals, such as asking your parents to replace a phone that has not been broken. Toxic consumerism is over-buying non-essential goods, such as buying multiple shoes when they are on sale. Christmas is a holiday full of cheer, but also much greed and destruction. This over-shopping needs addressing.

Toxic consumerism and materialism are prevalent during major holidays because people feel pressured to buy many presents. The presents being bought may be influenced by online presence and advertisements. For example, social media has started to promote “must-have” items for Christmas. As you scroll through TikTok and Instagram during the holidays, you may see influencers posting “Christmas Decor Shopping Hauls” that cost well over hundreds of dollars. Additionally, researchers say that over 94% of respondents stated discounts and offers have been the top reason for spending. For example, Amazon’s “Holiday Deals” can be misleading because it can cause consumers to spend too much money.

The sheer amount of items bought can end up damaging our environment by ending up in landfills. Furthermore, the Environmental Protection Agency stated that in the time between Thanksgiving and the New Year, household waste increases by 25%, which is about 1,000 excess pounds of trash that could end up in landfills.

Getting a person the most expensive or simply “right” gift causes unnecessary stress. Additionally, the obsession over presents can drive family and friends to fight. When people see online videos of others receiving over-the-top gifts it sets the standard very high. In turn, the viewer may be more open about their disappointment when their desired present isn’t received. Also, the giver may then feel guilty and unappreciated.

To be extra thankful during this holiday season, look around your house to see what you can give away to your nearest donation center.  Additionally, to not fall prey to toxic consumerism, you can try to make gifts for your family and friends instead of buying. All in all, Christmas is not just about buying gifts, but about what you can do for others.

Sources:

https://spilledink.org/839/uncategorized/christmas-materialism-creates-stress-pushes-people-apart/

https://lionstale.org/11056/opinion/opinion-the-holiday-season-promotes-consumerism-in-harmful-ways/