The East Rockaway Gull

For Students, by Students...

The East Rockaway Gull

The East Rockaway Gull

Poll

The class with the hardest AP test has to be...

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Lanacella
Lanacella
Olivia Yagnisis, Vice-President • April 19, 2024
The Evolution of Coachella
The Evolution of Coachella
Caroline Cronin, Student Writer • April 19, 2024
Inside the Preppy Trend
Inside the Preppy Trend
Olivia Price, Student Writer • April 19, 2024

A Student’s Perspective on Barry Tech

Finding and Pursuing Dreams for After High School
A Students Perspective on Barry Tech

Ever since career day in 7th grade and learning about the occupation of Neonatal Nursing, I have had my heart set on becoming a nurse. Enter the BOCES Barry Tech program–I first heard about BOCES from my mom when she was telling me about what a cool opportunity it was. After learning and inquiring about a few of their medical programs through the “Taste of Tech” field trip, along with the open house, I really gained interest. 

You may be wondering, what exactly is BOCES? Also known as Barry Tech, BOCES is a school for seniors and juniors all across Nassau County who are interested in CTE (Career and Technical Education) programs. The course possibilities are endless, whether you are interested in cosmetology, aviation, physical therapy, or carpentry, there is truly something for everyone. Each and every classroom has high tech equipment, experienced and well educated teachers, and an all in all engaging atmosphere. First-year students (usually juniors) attend Barry Tech in the morning while second-year students (usually seniors) attend in the afternoon.

Flash forward to this year and I am a Medical Assisting student at Barry Tech. My morning starts off when other East Rockaway students and I get picked up from the ERHS oval around 6:35AM. After all the other pickups, we get to Barry Tech around 7:40AM and I head to my class. From 8:00 to 10:10AM our class time is full of hands-on activities, engaging lessons, and so much more. There is truly never a dull moment, and when it comes time, we all get bussed back to East Rockaway to spend the rest of our day taking classes with our peers.

Many ask, “Do you feel you are missing out on things going on at East Rockaway?” and the answer is absolutely not. Although I am not here at ERHS for periods 1-5 the day goes quickly, I still see my friends, and there is no conflict with extracurricular activities. Before you ask, is it tough getting up so early, the answer is yes. But, after adapting a routine I have gotten used to it and now I look forward to getting up and going to BOCES every morning. There are so many fun aspects of high school, and that is because you never know what is going to happen. Last week I saw a teacher walking around with a baby ostrich from the vet class, and it is normal for students to walk dogs during a fire drill. Another thing that I look forward to is Joe’s Corner Store. Joe’s is the retail skills classroom that is made into a shop full of different snacks, food, and merchandise. If you ask anyone, it is always a highlight of the week, as you get to see friends from other classes, buy delicious food, and is overall one of the best parts of BOCES. 

If any of this appeals to you, I highly recommend looking into possible programs that interest you. Graduating from Barry Tech gives you experience in your field before you even move on to the next chapter of your life. Talk to your guidance counselor, do some research, and you will not regret it!