The East Rockaway Gull

For Students, by Students...

The East Rockaway Gull

The East Rockaway Gull

Poll

The class with the hardest AP test has to be...

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Lanacella
Lanacella
Olivia Yagnisis, Vice-President • April 19, 2024
The Evolution of Coachella
The Evolution of Coachella
Caroline Cronin, Student Writer • April 19, 2024
Inside the Preppy Trend
Inside the Preppy Trend
Olivia Price, Student Writer • April 19, 2024

Why are People so Interested in Castor Oil Recently?

In the last few years, castor oil has been on the rise in the United States. In the past, it had only really been used as a type of laxative. It was only recently that many people started to claim that castor oil can work wonders and provide many benefits like anti-aging properties, helping stimulate hair growth, and many more marvelous things. But is that the case, does it live up to its expectations? Though the research on it is not extensive, there was a study in 2012 that proved that there are many antioxidant and antibacterial properties found in castor oil, specifically that castor oil has protective properties that can minimize the risk of certain diseases (most commonly heart diseases). Scientists have also found that it is about 90% made up of Ricinoleic acid, which is a type of potent fatty acid. Potent fatty acids have seemed to help inflammation, promote brain health, etc.

Encouraging hair growth and anti-aging 

There is not a ton of research that proves that castor oil directly affects hair growth. There was one study from March of 2012 that gave reason to believe that castor oil helps reverse the effects of male pattern baldness. There have also been many first-person sources who have said that after using castor oil in their hair for a certain amount of time, they have noticed a great difference in their hair’s thickness and sleek appearance. Same with wrinkles, many people claim that after using castor oil on their under eyes and neck they have noticed a decrease in their wrinkles. 

How to use castor oil 

There are many different types of ways to use castor oil, and it all depends on how you are using it. For example, if you use it on your skin it is recommended to use a thin layer and apply it in your preferred spots. However, you must be careful while using castor oil on your face because there are no studies that talk about using it on your face, so people with dermatitis have had irritation after using it directly. If that applies to you, consult your doctor before trying out castor oil. If you are using it to promote hair growth it is best to apply it all over your target areas and massage it in to get the best results.

Sources: