Recap: Spirit Week & Pep Rally

Zoe Cerna, Staff Writer

Spirit week is the week of homecoming and each day of the week you get to dress up in different themes. Spirit week is a way for the whole school to come together and have some fun. It is a great way to make a school day more interesting. Spirit week themes are picked by the seniors since it is their last one ever and they want to make it special for them. This year’s themes picked by the seniors were: Character Day, ‘Merica Monday, Black Tie Tuesday, Unity Day, Country vs Country Cub, and Orange and Black. My school spirit week was a major hit.  I am a freshman in high school this year and I feel that more people do spirit week in high school than middle school. It is also the easiest week because you don’t have to stress about what to wear because there is always a theme to help you. 

We also have a pep rally, which is like a preview before the main event – the homecoming game. This year’s pep rally was a little different because pep rally is usually the Friday before the homecoming game and then that Saturday is the game. But this year we decided to have a pep rally and homecoming on Friday. Pep rally was at the end of the school day and all the students came out to support. All the fall sports teams were asked to make posters of which sports teams they are on and put everyone’s names on the poster. As a cheerleader, our job was to walk each of the sports teams out and show them wear to sit. The sports teams ran through our rock tunnel. After that the varsity cheerleaders and middle school cheerleaders performed their routines in front of the whole school. Then we proceed with each team’s coach and captains coming up to the podium and giving little speeches about the team and their experiences playing a sport in East Rockaway. After the speech, the whole team goes up to the podium and takes a team picture. This was very successful and I hope we continue doing this in the future. The last and final part of the pep rally was the parade, when each team walks around East Rockaway all the way to the high school for the big game. This was one of my favorite parts because I am a varsity cheerleader so I was able to be a part of the parade and cheer at the homecoming game as well. Pep rally is the best part to end the school week, it is just so fun and exciting. In my opinion, this was one of the best spirit week and pep rallies ever.