Rock Rivalry & Life Lessons

Rock Rivalry & Life Lessons

Erin Lynch, Treasurer & Staff Writer

During the month of March, most students of East Rockaway High School had just one question on their mind, “Who’s winning the Cup?” Rock Rivalry, the thrilling competition between the classes has been around for 87 years. For the 87th annual rivalry, the Senior class took the cup with their winning entrance, “Chaos is Coming to Town.” Although Rock Rivalry is full of fierce competition, and lets be honest, many rivalries, it teaches students much more than what the eye can see. 

The event is comprised of many different components including entrance, sports night, stand, mural, costumes, backdrop, props, and so much more. Without the proper organization, it is almost impossible for a class to succeed. Rock Rivalry teaches students how to budget time for several different committees and make sure every list or element is completed by its set due date. Not only does this teach organization, but proper time management. Participants learn how to properly balance their schedules between committee meetings, rehearsals, school work, along with everyday life. 

Rock Rivalry has classmates all working for a common goal… to win the cup. In order to be successful, especially in a competition like Rock Rivalry, collaboration is necessary. Everyone has the opportunity to build off of each other’s ideas and work as a team. Whether it is tug of war during sports night or a dance number in entrance, victory is impossible unless everyone is on the same page. Along with this it gives you the opportunity to work with your sister class and help each other along the way. 

Every point counts in Rock Rivalry, that is why sportsmanship is so important. The lesson is evident, win with grace and lose with grace. Cheating, trash talking, and disobedience is not tolerated at all and can cause point deductions. It is so important to cheer on your own class, but you could potentially end up hurting your class if you don’t support other grades as well. 

Lastly, the bonds made during Rock Rivalry are unbreakable. Through the experience each grade becomes closer and closer with every rehearsal, meeting, and event. The time spent and all the memories you can make are unforgettable. There really is nothing like it.

In East Rockaway everyone is familiar with Rock Rivalry. I am so happy something so special exists. I have made many friends, walked away with many life lessons, and unforgettable memories. Although the competition has its craziness, as well as ups and downs, it always ends with a community united because of it. I can’t wait until next year’s 88th competition.