“A Letter to Future Middle School Students”

Isabella DeCunzo

Photo taken PRE Covid 19 regulations.

Isabella DeCunzo, Staff Writer

Dear Class of 2027 and Future Classes,

Welcome to the East Rockaway Jr/Sr High School! You did it–you graduated from elementary school. Now you can move classrooms, do sports, join clubs, and wake up an hour earlier so you’re not late to first period. Middle school wasn’t as bad as everyone made it out to be. There are no popular kids making fun of you in the halls, no big jocks ready to beat you up, and not much drama. If you know your way, you’ll be fine.

To start off, combination locks aren’t that bad. They will take some time to get used to but once you get it, you’ll never be able to not do it. If you can, try to practice at home. Maybe get a lock to practice on. If your struggling with your locker lock, ask a friend for help or go find Mr. Pajer or Mrs. Terranova so they can use their key to unlock it for you. On the bright side, you can personalize your locker to how you like. I suggest getting a locker shelf, some lights, and magnets to hang photos and your schedule. Make your locker a fun place to hang and makes you smile when you open it. Also keep snakes in your locker. I did and I have no regrets.

Classes aren’t that tough either. English contains a lot of the same skills you have been doing for the past 7 years; you just build upon them. Social Studies is early American history, so if you watch Hamilton you’ll be fine. Math and Science will be a bit harder. Math is similar to what you have been doing but they also need to prepare you for Algebra so you will deal with fractions, variables, and graphs. Science will be a lot of new things. You learn about microscopes, cells, space, and you do another science fair. Spanish is a whole new language, but that’s why they invented Google Translate and Rosetta Stone to help you. Don’t worry about it. Turn in your work on time and DON’T BE AFRAID TO ASK QUESTIONS!!! If you’re confused, ask a question, go to extra help, have a study session with your friends, or talk to your teacher after class. Speaking of teachers, they are all really great. They’re so nice and fun to have. Just don’t be a general annoyance or disturbance and you’ll be fine. While we’re on the topic of classes, if you’re late for the first week or so of classes you’re not going to be marked late as you’re still finding your classes. But after your first week, you’ll know your schedule and way around like the back of your hand. 

Put yourself out there. You’re now mixed with Rhame Ave/Centre Ave and 5 other grades in one school. Join a club. Even in 7th grade there are a plethora of clubs you can join (for example, The Gull). There is also robotics, mathletes, key club, student council, builders club, and many more. Middle school is also the year to try sports you have never tried before. Go out for a team to see if you like it or just to do something with your friends. Also make some new friends. The more friends you have the better and the less lonely you’ll feel. And you’ll have more people to talk to in your classes. 

No matter what happens, enjoy your time in middle school. This is a big step in discovering who you are. Try new styles, make new friends, try a fun haircut! Do what makes you happy. As long as you wear deodorant and don’t cause trouble you’ll be fine. Middle school movies lied to you. It’s actually really fun and I have enjoyed my time in the JH wing. I wish you all the best in your middle school years! Have fun, be you, and don’t change for anyone but yourself. 

This article is dedicated to my sister Stephanie. She is very nervous about entering middle school and I don’t blame her. So many new things, classes, schedules, and people. It’s a lot to take in. But Steph, you can do this. Anyone can do this. Have fun and just enjoy your time here. Also hope Stephanie we don’t have the same lunch period because I will not hesitate to embarrass you on your first day. Good luck! GO ROCKS!

YOU CAN DO THIS!!

Isabella DeCunzo, former 8th grader