“Film Review: The Nightmare Before Christmas”

Krista Fardella, Staff Writer

Now that the spooky season has come to a close and we are gearing up for all things holly and jolly, it’s time to cozy up with a classic holiday film. And what better way to transition from Halloween season to Thanksgiving and beyond than with Tim Burton’s classic film The Nightmare Before Christmas? This is my absolute favorite movie EVER (hyperbole is necessary here). I like everything from the music, to the plot, to the variety of characters, and the overall message. There’s a reason this film is a cult favorite; now let’s break down the reasons why.

The story is about a character named Jack Skellington who is the King of Halloween Town. Every year, Jack organizes its Halloween celebrations. Jack is sick of having the same old celebrations and doesn’t know what to do until one day he accidentally stumbles through a portal into Christmas Town, and then is excited and wants to celebrate this new holiday. To me, he is the best character because is very smart and wise, as well as curious. He is also the character that I could relate to the most. He has a sense of wonder to him that is so relatable. The entire plot revolves around this internal conflict he has about being a leader and making changes, which is apparent during one of the most famous songs when he laments, “But who here would ever understand that the Pumpkin King with the skeleton grin would tire of his crown? If they only understood, he’d give it all up if he only could.” Believe us, Jack, there are times when we students get exhausted by the responsibility too.

While we follow Jack’s adventures, we are also introduced to Lock, Shock, and Barrel, better known as Boogie Boys. The reason why they rank in my top favorite list is because of their evil and mischievous nature, as well as their song “Kidnap the Sandy Claws.” They all work together to assist the main villain Oogie Boogie, although they aren’t the best henchmen because they are always getting into trouble and lack common sense. Their quirky, hilarious antics are a perfect balance to Jack’s quest for change. You’ll find yourself singing along to their songs long after the film ends.

You may think that the story seems childish (especially because of the clay animation), but it truly is for every age. While the animation may seem outdated to our generation, the story of Jack’s conflict and desire to create a new celebration for all will bring delight to viewers. With the spooky session closing and the cozy winter coming, the film is the perfect lazy day activity.

Krista’s Film Rating: 8/10.