Distance Learning: Life Outside of School

Sydney Rodriguez, Staff Writer

Due to the unfortunate pandemic of Covid-19, schools across the nation were forced to close down to prevent the spread of this virus. Since this virus can be spread as easily as coming in contact with an infected person or even touching an infected surface and then touching your face, many schools were forced to temporarily close. Due to this unprecedented situation, East Rockaway High School began implementing methods of distance or remote learning, which is a method of doing schoolwork online and at home. 

Personally, I cannot say I’m quite fond of remote learning. It just isn’t the same as going to school. However, being at home does have its positives. For starters, I’ve been able to spend more time with family. With everyone being home all the time, it allows us to be around each other 24/7, which is something that school and work didn’t allow often. I’ve even picked up running. I was really upset when lacrosse was suspended since I was looking forward to it all school year. However, I wouldn’t let this virus stop me from staying in shape. I was never a fan of running, but now that I’ve been doing it more often, I find it therapeutic. It’s an effective method of staying in shape during the off season. Another thing that has kept me busy is FaceTiming my friends. Due to social distancing recommendations, I haven’t been able to see my friends in a very long time. However, FaceTime has allowed me to keep in touch. Not seeing the people I am so used to seeing nearly everyday has made me realize how much I took for granted. When this is over, I know to appreciate the little things! 

This whole experience is very new to us and unlike anything we’ve ever imagined. Only time will tell when everything will go back to the way it was.