Travis Scott brings his Tour to New York City

Back to Article
Back to Article

Anthony Romano, President

This past August, Houston rapper Travis Scott announced his massive Astroworld: Wish You Were Here Tour in support of his third studio album, Astroworld.  The Astroworld album was released on all platforms on Friday, August 3 and this was “La Flame’s” biggest record to date as this album exploded with hits such as “Sicko Mode”, “No Bystanders”, “Carousel”, and “Yosemite.”  When Travis Scott announced this tour which is his first ever solo headlining arena tour, the tour dates were highlighted by two New York City shows at the World’s Most Famous Arena, Madison Square Garden.

To warm up the crown before “Cactus Jack” started performing, Sheck Wes, Trippie Redd, and Gunna each performed 30-minute sets each.  Sheck Wes over the past few months has extremely grown in popularity as he released his first solo album “Mudboy” and his viral hit song “Mo Bamba” which stormed the face of the music industry and the music charts.  In a way this was sort of a hometown show for the “Mudboy” Sheck Wes as he was born in Harlem which is just seven miles from Madison Square Garden. Next to perform after Sheck Wes was Trippie Redd who pumped up the crowd by opening his set with his song “Dark Night Dummo.”  Also, before getting off the stage Trippie Redd had five different mosh pits form which excited the New York City crowd even more for Travis Scott to soon start performing. The final opening act on the Astroworld Tour was Gunna who has had major success throughout this past year after the release of his album with Lil Baby.

Around 9:30 pm, the Madison Square Garden lights turned off and seventeen-thousand fans stood in excitement to see Travis Scott perform.  The first song of the La Flame’s set was “Stargazing” which is also the first song on the Astroworld album. As soon as the beat dropped for that song and the smoke machines and energy filled the room.  A positive and upbeat tone was set at the show immediately.  The next song Travis Scott performed was “Carousel” and before the mosh pits formed and the song started he took one lap around his custom life-size carousel that he had on the B-stage with him. Throughout the performance of that song, a few fans were invited on stage to take a ride on the carousel while they were only a few feet away from Travis Scott.  To perform “Butterfly Effect” which is another extremely popular song from his album, Travis Scott went to the A-stage and left the B-stage.

As the show began to close, Travis Scott performed “Yosemite” from his  album and to perform the song with him he brought Gunna back out onto the stage. For the performance of “Can’t Say” and “Antidote”, Travis Scott had a massive life-size roller coaster that he road on and performed that extended all the way from the A-stage to the B-stage.  To everybody’s surprise, Travis Scott brought his wife Kylie Jenner to ride on the roller coaster with him throughout the performance of the two songs.  The second to last song of the night was the biggest hit from Travis Scott’s sophomore album called “Goosebumps.” Another huge surprise of the evening was in the middle of the song, the highly successful Compton-rapper Kendrick Lamar  came on the stage to sing his part of the song.  The final song of the night was Travis Scott’s most popular song of his career to date titled “Sicko Mode” which had just recently become Cactus Jack’s first ever number one single.

Overall Travis Scott’s Astroworld: Wish You Were Here Tour was an enormously exciting and amazing show that contained many special effects, and nonstop festive energy from Travis Scott himself.   Travis Scott will continue his United States tour as he will conclude the first leg of the tour on Saturday, December 22 in Portland, Oregon at the Moda Center.  On Monday, December 17 Travis Scott announced a second leg of the tour starting January 25 in Vancouver. Two local stops Cactus Jack will make are Saturday, March 2 at Madison Square Garden and Sunday, March 3 at Barclays Center.

• Travis Scott brings his Tour to New York City

Showcase

The Curriculum Fair Comes To East Rockaway High School!

Showcase

Vignettesgiving!

Showcase

We Made It Onto The Jumbotron!

Showcase

Student Cabinet

Showcase

Meet Mr. Gibbons!

Showcase

A CANtinuation

Showcase

Why This Month is Important …

Showcase

Opinion

Brawl Stars Review

Student Life

A Helping Hand During the Holidays