The Radio City Christmas Spectacular!

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Radio City Christmas Spectacular!

Samantha LaChaina, Staff Writer

The Radio City Christmas Spectacular is an annual magnificent performance that is showcased at none other than the Radio City Music Hall in Manhattan. The show presents the admirable Rockette’s performance every year, as well as many other performances by talented dancers, singers, and actors playing as Christmas and winter related characters. The Christmas Spectacular has been presented to the public in NYC since 1933, and on average 75 million people have watched this performance. Many iconic performances have been unchanged since the birth of the show, like the “Parade of The Wooden Soldiers” number, where the toy soldiers fall onto each other in a domino effect. Every year people travel from all over the country/world to see this spectacular and classic show!

The East Rockaway Junior/Senior High School Senior Chorus has been chosen out of hundreds of other schools  to open for the Radio City Christmas Spectacular on Wednesday, December 20th. I am astonished that we were lucky enough (and talented enough as a choir) to be chosen to carry out this honor. Other schools and groups will also be opening for the show, but on different show dates/times. I am in disbelief that my chorus will be standing on Radio City’s stage, moments before the Rockettes performing their iconic opening number.

On Wednesday, December 20th, the ERHS Senior Chorus went to school in concert attire, and left during third period classes to meet in the band room. This was the day that they had been awaiting for months. They were finally going to open for the Radio City Christmas Spectacular.  A few hours later they hopped onto the bus at about 10 o’clock in the morning. The entire 2 hour bus ride was a rehearsal of nostalgic songs that they did in the past, as well as a  practice of the songs they were going to perform (A jazz version of Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer and Silent Night). Christmas carols from the bus window were sung to those in the street.

First stop was the tree. Everyone took pictures posing in front of the tree, it was so much fun! Then, the time came to line up outside of the Radio City Hall. Performers were given bracelets and a private area where they could leave their belongings and rehearse.

After a short wait, it was time to perform. It had felt like it was taking forever in the start but from about a half an hour to the time we performed, time flew.  Quickly the stage was filled with our two line order. It went extremely fast, but it was professional and excellent.

The chorus was allowed to remain for the entire spectacular after they finished! It was a beautiful show, with performances from many groups of talented people and a Christmas/NYC related storyline! Overall, it was an amazing experience and extremely memorable.