Alumni Day at East Rockaway High School

On November 22nd, 2017, East Rockaway Jr./Senior High School held its 6th annual Alumni Day assembly. Alumni Day is an event in which the last year’s graduating class comes back to ERHS to reunite with old classmates and teachers. It usually takes place on the day before Thanksgiving break.  Alumni day has a more significant purpose than just a reunion of former classmates, according to ERHS’s guidance counselor, Mrs. Melecio.  

“The purpose of Alumni Day is to make sure that students know the importance of doing well in high school, and how important it really is to prepare yourself for college before you jump into it,” says Mrs. Melecio. “Alumni Day is fairly new to our school. It not only gives our alumni the opportunity to meet old friends/teachers, but gives them a chance to talk to their former classmates about what college is really like and how to have the smooth transition from high school to college.” Mrs. Melecio believes that Alumni Day is very beneficial in stressing the importance of high school.

Mrs. Melecio went on to explain why ERHS held two assemblies that day, one for the 9th and 10th graders and one for 11th and 12th graders. The separate assemblies not only allowed the assemblies to be more intimate, but served different purposes. Mrs Melecio explained how the 9th and 10th grade assembly was used to explain to students the importance of trying hard in high school, study skills, time management, and the importance of taking classes that are important for your future. The junior and senior assembly stressed the major differences from high school and college, strategies on searching for colleges, and how to have the most comfortable transition after high school.  Alumni also explained to students how to be as prepared as you can for college.

Overall, Alumni Day is a great event that ERHS, as well as many other schools around the U.S., hold to serve as a reminder to present day high school students that college is approaching very quickly and that it is important to prepare yourself before that time comes. 

• Alumni Day at East Rockaway High School

Showcase

Q & A with Mr. Lederer!

News

The Radio City Christmas Spectacular!

Showcase

East Rockaway’s Got Talent!

Showcase

Time to Mock!

Showcase

Metropolitan Museum of Art Trip

News

Camp Kesem

Showcase

Dec’ the Halls

Showcase

The Last Kick Off

• Creative Writing

Welcome Back

Showcase

The End of An Era

Alumni Day at East Rockaway High School