Teenage Dream

Back to Article
Back to Article

Teenage Dream

Anthony Romano, Secretary

On October 2, 2017, Katy Perry performed the Witness Tour at ‘The World’s Most Famous Arena’ Madison Square Garden.  This 2017-2018 tour is associated with Katy Perry’s new album ‘Witness’ that was released on June 9, 2017.  Throughout the course of this tour Katy has three different opening acts, Purity Ring, Carly Rae Jepsen, and at MSG, Noah Cyrus.  Noah has made it huge in the music industry in the past 6 months and she is set to release her new album, ‘NC-17’, later this year.  This massive tour began on September 19, 2017 in Montreal, Canada and will conclude on August 21, 2018 in Auckland, New Zealand.

Noah Cyrus came on stage on 7:30 pm to open for Katy Perry.  Her first song on the set list, ‘Stay Together’, which  brought an upbeat feeling to Madison Square Garden.  For Noah’s third song, she covered ‘Million Reasons’ by the legend Lady Gaga.  The first day of this tour in Montreal, Lady Gaga  saw that Noah  performed ‘Million Reasons’ and she was so honored that she performed it.  The next part of her set were acoustic songs.  The first acoustic song that she performed was ‘Almost Famous’.  Noah was scheduling for the second acoustic song to be ‘Achy Breaky Heart’ by her father Billy Ray Cyrus but decided to perform ‘Stand By Me’ by Prince Royce because this concert was a day after the horrific events that took place at the Route 91 Festival in Las Vegas.  Noah Cyrus was  affected by these extremely horrible attacks in Las Vegas just like everybody in the crowd.  Noah Cyrus had completed her performance with ‘Again’ and a performance of ‘Make Me Cry’ with Labrinth.

Next up was headliner Katy Perry.   The stage looked like a huge eye and two tear drops.  When the MSG lights turned off all 18,000 fans were insanely excited to see Katy Perry start her performance.  On the screen there was a 2-minute space animation that led to the screen splitting in half and a spaceship showing up.  Smoke machines sprayed smoke to all directions around the perimeter of the spaceship as it opened up and Katy Perry came out on a huge star-shaped object that flew above the Madison Square Garden crowd to perform ‘Witness’ and to open the show.  The next song was ‘Roulette’ and 2 huge gold dice were brought on stage which had openings in it so the dancers and Katy Perry could go inside and on top of the dice during the performance.  The third song that Katy Perry  performed during the show was ‘Dark Horse’ which was incredibly successful from her ‘Prism’ album.  For this performance Katy Perry and her dancers each had a stand that was red in color and during the performance the stands had went up and down at different times.  The choreography for Katy Perry and the dancers was phenomenal.

The next song on Katy Perry’s Witness Tour was ‘Chained to the Rhythm’ from Katy’s new album ‘Witness’.  At the beginning of the song all of her dancers came out wearing television like boxes on their heads and two huge fake alien like people with the same television like boxes on their heads were carried out on stage on stilts.   For Katy’s next song which was ‘Hot n Cold’ she had another costume change where she was wearing a shirt that had an electronic screen with all of the lyrics showing in a billboard fashion.  For Katy Perry’s 8th song of the night she had performed ‘California Gurls’ with the famous Left Shark that went viral in 2015 when Katy Perry headlined the Super Bowl.  For a few minutes Katy Perry had left the Madison Square Garden stage but, she came back in a new costume and above the stage there were huge lips for Katy Perry’s performance of ‘I Kissed a Girl’.  Closer to the end of the song she flew above the stage and around 75 feet from floor seats.  After Katy Perry’s performance of ‘I Kissed a Girl’ her and her dancers ran over to the far end of her outstanding catwalk to perform 2 songs.

After Katy Perry performed ‘Bon Appetit’ she ran backstage for a 5 minute break.  Several spherical shaped objects formed from the top of the Garden and all of the objects represented planets.  Starting at this point of the concert you felt like you were in the solar system.  The grand screen behind the stage split open and Katy Perry flew in and she was sitting on the top of another planet shaped object and she played her guitar for a performance of ‘Thinking of You’.  It was the most spectacular sight to see all 16,000 Katy Perry fans light up the Garden with their flashlights on their phones.  Then, Katy Perry and the planet she was sitting on landed on the B stage and she started to perform ‘Power’.  During this song she was on the B stage, she walked through the crowd, and she arrived at the far end of the catwalk.  For Katy Perry’s 18th song which was ‘Swish Swish’ a huge basketball hoop and a huge basketball was brought on stage with all of her dancers.  In the middle of the song she stopped the song and brought a fan on stage to play a quick 3 minute basketball game with her.  Then once the excited fan left the stage Katy and her dancers finished the song along the catwalk.  Katy Perry’s 19th song was ‘Roar’ which was highly successful after its release on the ‘Prism’ album. To resemble a tiger/lion a huge lion head came out from the middle screen that split open.  To close probably one of the best concerts I have ever seen, an enormous hand raised from the far end of the catwalk and Katy Perry performed a slow version of ‘Firework’.

Overall out of 10 I would give this concert a perfect score.  What made this show so spectacular were each different special effect and different props for each song.  From the hanging planets during ‘Thinking of You’ and ‘Power’ to the basketball hoop for ‘Swish Swish’ the special effects made this concert one to never forget.  In between Katy Perry’s performance of ‘Thinking of You’ and ‘Power’ she brought a fan on stage and a shooting star came down from the top of the Madison Square Garden.  Katy explained that with a shooting star you are supposed to make a wish so, the fan and Katy Perry both made a wish.  The fan’s wish was to meet Katy Perry and her wish was granted during that second and Katy’s wish was for world peace.  This concert was the day after the tragic attacks in Las Vegas and it is truly enough for all of these attacks at concerts and anywhere in general.  I find concerts are one of the most relaxing and enjoyable things somebody could attend and nobody should everybody be in fear when at a concert.

• Teenage Dream

Showcase

Poetry Madness-The Final Four

• Teenage Dream

Showcase

The Curriculum Fair Comes To East Rockaway High School!

• Teenage Dream

Showcase

Vignettesgiving!

• Teenage Dream

Showcase

We Made It Onto The Jumbotron!

• Teenage Dream

Showcase

Student Cabinet

• Teenage Dream

Showcase

Meet Mr. Gibbons!

• Teenage Dream

Showcase

A CANtinuation

• Teenage Dream

Showcase

Why This Month is Important …

• Teenage Dream

Student Life

The College Process

• Teenage Dream

Student Life

The 83rd Rock Rivalry

Teenage Dream