Camp Kesem

Sarah Donnelly, President

I recently sat down with Sam Kinzer, a fellow student at East Rockaway High School. He told me about his experience at Camp Kesem, which is a week-long sleepaway camp held in upstate New York via Stonybrook University. The camp is one big support system for children ages 7-17 who have been impacted by their parent’s cancer. The campers are grouped by age with usually 50 kids at a camp- but the numbers have been exponentially growing.

Based on Sam’s experience, he had a blast. His experience was full of arts and crafts, games, science, fun group activities, and food. There were activities like Unit Time, where campers and counselors consisting of college students would spend time bonding, Resolex -free time to spend with other campers- or Avenger, which was sports! Sam’s favorite part of this camp was meeting people. The personal favorite activity of Sam’s liking was Gaga Ball, which is similar to dodgeball. He had such a great experience that he even set a goal for himself to become a counselor in two years. Sam made a ton of new friends who he still keeps in touch with and is going to see at the Camp Kesem reunion. The counselors made Sam feel comfortable and had a lasting impact on him. They bonded by playing video games and even just talking all day.

I had asked Sam what sparked the idea of Camp Kesem, and his answer was simple: “Ms. Schutta asked if I wanted to go and I said yes.” The answer paid off- Sam left feeling more comfortable, relaxed, and went home with a list of new friends that will last a lifetime. Sam recommends Camp Kesem because it really helped him keep his mind off of such a difficult process. When he gets older, Sam’s goal for the future is to be a pediatrician for children with cancer. Why? Because he was inspired by a friend who had cancer. Sam has also seen the damage first hand and knows he can make a difference.

If you or anyone wants to know more information about this program, please contact Ms. Schutta. If you are looking for camp specifics, feel free to speak to Sam Kinzer.

• Camp Kesem

Showcase

A Fond Farewell

• Camp Kesem

Showcase

Rock Rivalry: A Sophomore Perspective

• Camp Kesem

Showcase

East Rockaway Peer Leadership

• Camp Kesem

Showcase

A Fond Farewell

• Camp Kesem

Showcase

Rock Rivalry: A Sophomore Perspective

• Camp Kesem

Showcase

East Rockaway Peer Leadership

• Camp Kesem

Student Life

The Advisory Program

• Camp Kesem

Student Life

Dance Party

• Camp Kesem

News

Under the Sea with the Little Mermaid!

• Camp Kesem

News

The Rockweiler

Camp Kesem