The Last Kick Off

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Last Kick Off

Laura Millar, Staff Writer

As the girl’s varsity soccer season started, many girls from both Malverne and East Rockaway tried out for what turned out to be a successful season. Starting in August, the girl’s combined Malverne and East Rockaway soccer team worked hard to prepare for a challenging season. The season began with a non-league loss against Valley Stream Central and a league loss against Mineola, but these losses did not keep the team from keeping their heads high and their spirits up.

Not only did the team come back and win their conference, they also made it to playoffs! After the two losses, they did not suffer any more defeats and even came back against Hewlett High School which is a few conferences above Malverne/East Rockaway. With wins against Lawrence, Sewanhaka, Roosevelt, Elmont and Westbury, the girl’s varsity soccer team took their skills to the next level, and that was not the end.

The team then faced Mineola, also at the top of their division. The game was tied at the end and then went into overtime. With a header scored by forward Kailey Hyland off of defender Gabby Walsh’s corner kick during the second overtime period, the crowd went wild. The girls had made it to the next round of playoffs!

The team traveled to face Friends Academy next. Friends Academy being in a higher conference than Malverne/East Rockaway made it clear that this would be a challenging match-up, but the girls came in strong. With a loss of only 1-0, Malverne/East Rockaway Girl’s Varsity Soccer team proved their skill and determination. Although they were no longer in the playoffs, the girls showed good sportsmanship, strength, and skill against Friends Academy.

• The Last Kick Off

Showcase

Student Cabinet

• The Last Kick Off

Showcase

Meet Mr. Gibbons!

• The Last Kick Off

Showcase

A CANtinuation

• The Last Kick Off

Showcase

Why This Month is Important …

• The Last Kick Off

Student Life

Spectacular Spirit Week!

• The Last Kick Off

Creative Writing

An Endless Road

• The Last Kick Off

Showcase

Student Cabinet

• The Last Kick Off

A & E

Spirit Week in East Rockaway High School

• The Last Kick Off

Showcase

Meet Mr. Gibbons!

• The Last Kick Off

A & E

Fortnite!

The Last Kick Off