Rock Rivalry’s Quiz Bowl: A Spectator’s Point of View

Back to Article
Back to Article

Madeleine Prucha, Staff Writer

It’s Rock Rivalry time!  We’ve recently added a new competition called Quiz Bowl to the Rock Rivalry competition. During this event, the freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors battle it out with trivia questions to see which grade will answer the most correctly.  As a 7th grader, I had the opportunity to watch the competition and it was intense!

There were two rounds. In the first round, students answered questions in grade order. The freshman took an early lead, answering the first question of the day correctly.  As quiz bowl continued, it was clear that there was a rivalry between two of the grades: the sophomores and the juniors.  They were both fighting for that top spot.  In round two the order switched and questions were asked in reverse grade order.  In this round, the seniors made a comeback, jumping more than 30 points on the scoreboard.  But nevertheless, the battle was still between the sophomores and the juniors.  In the end, the sophomores snatched the win and the juniors came in a close second.

Watching from the balcony, it was hard to see and hear, but the passion that these students had for their class was clearly evident from such a distance.  One could see how badly each class wanted to win. It was clear that they would stop at nothing to win those Rock Rivalry points.  Based on my first experience watching Rock Rivalry, I definitely want to participate in the class competition.