The Adventure of a Lifetime

Sarah Donnelly, Staff Writer

Coldplay’s popularity has made a comeback in the recent years, with their hits such as Adventure of a Lifetime and Hymn for The Weekend, which features vocals from Beyonce. Their Super Bowl 50 performance was nothing short of extraordinary. They used different colors throughout the audience to create a theme of “peace & love”. One would expect a Coldplay concert to be rainbow-filled with thousands of people who share a common love for music. After I heard that all shows at Metlife were sold out, I was beyond disappointed. I was hoping to be one of the audience members involved in the extravagant light show.

That changed about two weeks prior to showtime. My dad happened to be coincidentally listening to Coldplay on the radio and heard the usual “Now’s your chance! Call us now and see if you’ll be the lucky winner who gets to see Coldplay on July 17th!” Having a bit of faith left, that’s exactly what my dad did. After calling 3 times and just hearing a dial-tone, he decided to call just one last time for good luck. Unexpectedly, someone actually answered! My dad was greeted with “Congratulations!” It really was surprising. I couldn’t believe that I actually was going to see Coldplay.

Walking up to the gates at Metlife Stadium, you were welcomed with a white wristband with LED lights, known as Xylobands, and a pin that said “Love”. The concert began with a setlist from Alessia Cara, an up and coming artist who also promotes self-love, confidence and peace. She made a very personal connection with the audience as she gave a few motivational speeches, told life stories and explained the backstory of her songs. Proceeding her was Foxes, a singer who is totally underrated and whose vocals are usually included in dance songs and upbeat music.

Around 9:30 PM, the lights dimmed. Thirty seconds later, those wristbands that everybody in attendance wore, lit up a bright red. The entire stadium was controlled by the lighting director. Everyone’s bracelet was in sync with each other and the bracelets changed colors to the beat of each song. The light show was absolutely amazing. It was accompanied by the amazing live vocals of Chris Martin and his band members. The setlist was a mixture of their greatest hits, some songs off of their very first album that came out a decade ago and new songs everybody knew. When Yellow came on, Metlife Stadium was one huge yellow light. The show was a phenomenon, especially when Chris brought out Michael J. Fox and played Johnny B. Goode and Earth Angel, a special request of Chris’ son Moses. When Adventure of a Lifetime came on, the crowd went wild (and so did the bracelets). Balloons and beach balls were released into the crowd, along with confetti. When the concert came to an end my heart sunk. But I was beyond happy that I got to experience such a memorable night that I’ll remember for a lifetime.

• Creative Writing

Welcome Back

• The Adventure of a Lifetime

Showcase

The End of An Era

• Creative Writing

Welcome Back

• The Adventure of a Lifetime

Creative Writing

Changes

• The Adventure of a Lifetime

A & E

Being Acknowledged in the Art Industry

• The Adventure of a Lifetime

Showcase

The End of An Era

• The Adventure of a Lifetime

Opinion

Screenagers

• The Adventure of a Lifetime

Student Life

Tastes as Good as it Smells!

• The Adventure of a Lifetime

Opinion

Hard Hits Hit Hard

• Student Life

A Night To Remember… Sports Night 2017

The Adventure of a Lifetime